Wednesday 4 June 2014

Amina

Hijab, Shaylah, Tarhah,
Khimar,
Abaya,
Chador,
Jilbab,
Burqa,
Niqab,
Shalwar Kameez,
Beautiful women all covered up,
Beautiful women always in black,
Beautiful women instructed by religion not to show skin,
Beautiful women instructed by the Holy Book to cover up faces glowing,
Beautiful women with hair oh!so lovely,
Hair locked down in a bun,
Hair that never gets to experience the beauty that is wind flowing through it,
Beautiful women told by a book made by man that beauty only belongs to her husband,
The world cannot admire their gorgeous bodies,
Hidden behind baggy black clothing,
When the sun is scorching I wonder,
I wonder whether this beautiful Amina can strip off her Abaya,
Without religious scorn and dirty looks,
It's freaking hot dammit!!!!
Oh! Amina I am always torn between respect and disdain for you,
I always wonder whether religious non-conformity is a choice you have,
Do you like the black clothing?
Or behind closed doors do you try on short skirts and tight pants?
Do you let your silky locks of hair down?
Or is it condemned to a life in a tight bun?
Do you envy the non-muslim woman for her "freedom of dress"?
Oh!!! My dear Amina I am sometimes jealous of how staunch you are,
However, when I think of the restraint my heart shutters,
Oh! Amina if only this world was not governed by religious mediocrity,
If only you could be trusted to be respectable without the black,
If only life was half as fair to you beautiful woman,
If only Amina,
If only!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment