Sunday 7 July 2013

of religion and non-conforming

I had an amazing time at the Nest yesterday. Met a couple of amazing gays and amidst a lot of conversation and giddy laughter, the question on religion came up. There were definitely a lot of reactions and trust me none of them were in the name of Jesus. "I hate God!, I don't believe in God, I pray to God but am not conforming to a religion, am an atheist..." are among the reactions I got. One told us to shut the fuck up if we will continue talking about religion. After I left, for some reason that conversation could not get out of my head. It then hit me that a staggering number of my queer friends simply do not give two shits about religious institutions. I realised that I had had this same conversation with almost ten other LGBTI persons and it all led back to one conclusion...fuck religion.

I am very aware that ten people is too little to come up with a conclusive decision, so lets look at statistics by the Pew Research Centre 2013 LBGTI Survey. On the number of LGBTI persons with a religious affiliation, only 1,197 as opposed to 31,062 heterosexuals had a religious affiliation. Of the six major religious institutions, 71% of LGBTI persons view religious institutions as unfriendly. 48% of LGBTI persons are of the view that the religious types have negative views toward homosexuality. 65% said that they seldom/never attend church weekly. And finally a staggering 88% of LGBTI persons are religiously unaffiliated.

Is it just me or  is there something terribly wrong here. In the Great Holy Book, didn't some wise ass say that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made. That we are created in God's image. We are all children of this good God, and only God can judge us. Then why is it that it feels like religious institutions are only for heterosexual people?

Me thinks that, we are gravely misunderstood, religious institutions are full of "in the name of Jesus" kind of hypocrites. The kind who are too afraid to confront reality that the hide behind scripture. Stoning us, with cursing eyes. I thought we are ALL children of God, that only He can judge us, then why are there so many gods among men who will self righteously shun you from a place of worship because of your sexuality?

I think that we have a long way to go in terms of LGBTI acceptance but the one place you should feel safe because the world is a cold and brutal place, turn you away with religious hypocrisy. Its a pity because the good book also says "that he, without sin should cast the first stone."

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete