Monday 5 August 2013

Ignorance is not bliss

It was one of those days, I was lazily dragging my feet across the busy and chaotic town of Nairobi. I was secretly hoping that class is cancelled before I get there when I bumped into someone I know. After the very unnecessary small talk, he tells me that for the life of him he cannot remember where he parked his car. After a quick consolation he blurts out "ama ni A.D.D" "Hooooold!!!!up...what did you just say? Did you just attribute forgetting where you parked to having A.D.D." That was the first thought that crossed my mind.

Here is my problem, first of all attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is an actual mental illness that people go through. Excuse my French but what the fuck!! You think it is cool to throw around words because you think you are smart but with the risk of sounding like an absolute bitch, ignorance, me thinks, is not bliss. This guy probably does not even know what A.D.D stands for, leave alone the fact that it is no longer called A.D.D but A.D.H.D. This is an actual serious disorder characterised primarily by inattention, easy distractibility, disorganisation, procastination and forgetfulness not forgetting where you parked your car and people live their whole lives through medication to try and control it. It is not a funny disease, it is not a word you casually throw around because you think it makes you look smart. On the contrary, you come off like an ignorant prick and trust me that is not a good look.

I have come across very many people like this guy who simply do not give a rat's ass about what is going on in the world. It is of absolute importance that people realise that keeping tabs on the latest tweet is not cool, being cool is actually caring about what is happening around you. Being in touch with national and international matters. Real shit is going down in the world and I do not mean your next Instagram upload.

Ignorance is not bliss, read a book, your brain wun't pain...

No comments:

Post a Comment