Wednesday 5 February 2014

Behind bedroom doors...

I wrote a blog earlier about "something interesting is happening in Africa" and it was about the publicity that the gays are now getting in Africa. Good or bad, any publicity is good publicity. At least that is what I think.
Anyway that said, I was reading an article on Binyavanga Wainaina and the stir that he has caused because people have nothing better to do than rant about him coming out. I noticed something interesting in one of his questions. The notion that "what is bugging you if I am doing things behind my bedroom doors?"

I do not know why, but I have a very big problem with this method of thinking. I think that it is a method of justifying that what we are doing is ok only if it is happening behind closed doors. Heterosexuals are allowed to have public displays of affection but for homosexuals it is wrong and should not be disturbed only if it is happening behind closed doors. There is something very double standard about that method of thinking.

Love is love. Correct me if I am wrong. If you are in love with somebody chances are you will be affectionate in public. Right? Why then would homosexuals in this part of the world be confined to their bedrooms.

The only logic for me is that we are oppressed and the fear of publicly displaying affection could end up underneath a burning tyre with a mob baying for your blood...slightly dramatic but it could happen. It takes me back to my blog about whether I want to stick around and fight for my children's children's gay rights. Or will I flee to a State that allows me to do things outside my bedroom. Hmm!!! I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment