Thursday 20 February 2014

Kill the Gays

Advocacy by any other definition is making enough noise until somebody begins to listen. The gays in Kenya have been doing just that. Heckling and making muted noise. Somebody has finally listened.
I have been very uneasy for the past few days. That kind of uneasy that you can't quite place your finger on. I last wrote about how the word homosexual is on everyone's wagging tongue.
Any publicity is good publicity...no?

I am beginning to think differently. All the talk of homosexuality especially in Nigeria and Uganda has left some Kenyan MP's feeling some type of way. Kenya is a country of tolerance but I feel like this is soon wearing out and questions are beginning to be asked about where the law stands on the whole homosexual conundrum...big words...haha..

What scares me though is that the law is not clear on the LGBTQI matter. The law as is in the Penal Code s.162 mentions indecent conduct between men, words like gross indecency are used, whether in public or private. This in my opinion is directed toward gay men. But nowhere in the Penal Code mentions the rest of us, that is lesbians, bisexuals, transgender, queer and intersex individuals.

What scares me about the strike that will be held on Monday is that the rest of us will be put in the spot light. I am not sure if this is hypocritical but I am from the school of thought that if it aint broke don't fix it. We have been fine. Creeping through the shadows yet complaining we are not equal to the heterosexuals. Whispering I love you's because shouting too loud will get you lynched. Doing house parties because dancing passionately with the same sex gets you stoned with self righteousness and "African" culture.

All I hope is that Kenyans and their somewhat "liberal" approach to things as compared to our East African brothers. Heck!! we have 'Mr. Liberal' for a President. I hope that this strike will be the beginning of progressive growth toward acceptance and equality.


No comments:

Post a Comment