Monday 10 February 2014

of insensitivity and other things...

I was reading a new paper that has in the recent past hit the Nairobi streets. I do not do gutter press and this is one of those papers I consider gutter. That is my opinion. Anyway that said, I was going through it and stumbled upon an article by one Retrosexual. The first time I read the paper he was bashing the "modern" woman for being the kind of lady who will sleep in and snore with a death like hangover will the man goes out and gets painkillers and what not. That did not bug me because to each his own. I mean if the trash you pick up off the streets does not get up and buy painkillers and an energy drink doesn't mean that all women are like that.

The next time I come across the paper his topic of the day was "single women are bad influence to wives." Of course something like this will definitely interest me, I mean what is this elusive single woman up to now.
As I proceed reading the article I get particularly aggravated by something he writes...

Don't get it twisted, this is by no means a bash blog. He is a fellow writer with good writing skills but a complete lack of sensitivity.

 The paragraph began like this "...there are single women who have decamped to lesbian territory and need recruits. If as a man you don't execute the jembe (hoe) job properly, you risk your spouse being 'hawked' to a stud. Some have been driven to experiment with lesbianism with catastrophic results. Losing your woman to a man is bad enough. But losing her to another woman is positively vulgar..."  

Eeeeeeerm!!!!! Everything about this paragraph pisses me the fuck off. There is no scientific or researched proof that single women decamp to lesbianism. He makes it sound like it is a disease. Forget the homophobic under currents. Last I checked lesbians are human beings too. Not some disgusting creature that single women 'decamp' to with catastrophic results.'

Every writer has freedom to express themselves in whichever way they please but decorum and sensitivity must be observed. Such articles fuel stigma, shame and ostracization of the gay community. There is no problem with experimenting. Sexuality is fluid. Take time to understand what you are writing about before using words like 'hawked' and 'recruits' and 'positively vulgar' to describe fellow human beings just like you.

Empathy is the ability to put yourself in anothers shoes, imagining what it would be like if you are on the other side. This is the fine line between a writer and a great writer. You do not have to agree with it but empathy builds sensitivity to others.


No comments:

Post a Comment